Let’s do a quick DIY!
This takes literally 2 minutes, and can be customized to basically whatever you want.
Yoga mats are amazing, but I hate the plastic/rubber smell. Especially when I am in downward facing dog, and trying to focus on my breath. So, I decided to make a yoga mat spray!
I don’t do a whole lot of sweating when I exercise, but this one is great for if you do or if you don’t!
Okay, so here is what you will need!
1 empty On Guard or TerraSheild Spray Bottle (don’t use just any old plastic spray bottle, doterra’s are industrial strength). If you don’t have one of those, these ones from Share Oils are good too!
- Essential Oils of your choice. I chose On Guard, Cheer, Bergamot, and Arise for a fresh, uplifting scent.
It’s seriously so simple!
1 If you are using an empty doterra bottle, first take the sticker off. It comes off pretty easy and doesn’t leave that sticky residue which is nice! If you do ever have a sticky residue though, just put a few drops of Lemon on it and it will do the trick.
2. Next you will need to wash out the bottle and the spray. You could use the On Guard Concentrate or On Guard Hand Soap in some warm water and let it soak for a few minutes.
To clean the sprayer, take it off of the bottle and spray it until nothing comes out. Then put the end of the straw/tubey thing in the warm, soapy water and spray that through it a few times. Then take it out of the water, and keep spraying until nothing comes out anymore.
3. After it is clean, dry the outside, but don’t worry too much about the inside.
4. Now you can add your oils! Here is the recipe I used:
- 6 Drops Cheer
- 6 Drops Arise
- 5 Drops On Guard
5 Drops Bergamot
I love the smell of Cheer so so so much! It is so uplifting and warm, and smells like a mix of Christmas and Bubble gum. You will know exactly what I am talking about if you have ever smelled it before!
Cheer is uplifting to you mood and emotions, and for me it really helps to prevent the grumpies. I use it every single day in my oil routine!
Next is Arise. This is actually part of doterra’s yoga collection. It’s also uplifting, but also very energizing. Great for any morning exercising!
Next is On Guard. On Guard not only smells amazing, but is super great for cleaning. So, the main purpose of me adding this in is to actually just keep my mat clean. This is why this recipe is great for someone who gets sweaty, or someone who doesn’t. The On Guard makes the Yoga Spray double as a Yoga Mat Cleaning Spray too.
Lastly I added Bergamot. This has a very light, airy, but citrus smell to it, and is great for any type of stress, as it promotes a healthy cortisol level (stress hormone). The smell really compliments the other oils, and just brings the spray all together. The spray seriously smells like cupcakes!
You can really use whatever oils you would like too, those are just my favorite right now. Don’t worry too much while mixing oils. While combinations may not smell the best, there aren’t two oils that “aren’t supposed to go together.”
Scent wise, when I am trying out a new blend, I have a simple trick I use so I don’t waste any oils being creative and trying out new blends! Take the caps off of all the oils you want to use, and hold the bottles up to your nose. Take a few deep breaths, and you will know immediately if it smells good to you or not!
5. Now that you have your oils in the bottle, just fill it with water. Oil and water don’t mix, so you will just have to shake it well before using it, but I really don’t like to mess with the different alcohols you need to mix the oils and water. It’s really not that big of a deal to just give the bottle a good shake before using it!
6. Throw a label on your bottle and you are done! It seriously will probably take just a few more minutes to make than it did to read this blog post!
I really am not all about difficult DIY’s, so any that come from me are doable by all!