This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing through them I will receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank You for your support!
Our household cleaners may be one of the biggest and most harmful toxins in our homes.
The worst part about it is that people do actually KNOW for the most part how bad cleaners are for them. It’s not like makeup, skin care, or body care that people are shocked when you tell them all of the hidden toxins in them.
People know how bad regular cleaners are for them, but still decide to use them. Why? Well, I think it could be for a few reasons.
- They have always used them and it’s hard to break a habit
- They know that these cleaners clean “well”
- They don’t know where to start for green cleaning
I get that. It’s totally hard to start something new. A lot of the times green cleaning doesn’t work as well as the regular stuff, and that’s frustrating! You want to upgrade and do better for you and your family’s health, but it’s all just too much.
Well no worries! I am going to give you a very clear run down on which essential oils to use, and how to use them to Spring Clean your home!
My business mission statement is to make healthy easy! Part of your health is body burden, and toxic chemical cleaners increase that. So, using natural products, like essential oils, can help to decrease that, therefore improving your health.
Essential oils are great because they have multiple uses per little amber bottle, so I will tell you how to use them for cleaning, and also how you can use them for your health!
1. On Guard Concentrate
I am sure that you have heard me talk about this before. On Guard Concentrate is what I use to clean my whole entire house! It’s an all natural, all purpose cleaner, so you can literally use it to clean whatever.
I use it on sinks, toilets, counters, furniture, car interior, floors, you name it.
Each bottle of the concentrate has a full 5ml bottle of On Guard in it, which is doTERRA’s immune supporting blend. It has essential oils like cinnamon, clove, and wild orange, which are all cleaning power houses!
I put 3 tablespoons of the concentrate into a 16-24oz glass, amber spray bottle, and it lasts me for usually over a month. The best part is that the concentrate only costs $14.50 Wholesale, and you can get around 16 full spray bottles of this cleaner with just the one concentrate. That’s less then a dollar per spray bottle!
To add a little antiviral and antifungal punch to this cleaner, I add 20 drops of Tea Tree oil to the same spray bottle, and now I can use it to clean my shower too!
- On Guard Concentrate also works really well as an all natural stain remover! It once got berry pie out of a white sweater. Squirt the concentrate on the stain, rub it really well, then throw it in the wash!
- I also use it to clean my makeup brushes.
2. Tea Tree
Uses: Surfaces, high moisture environments, germs
You may know this oil as Tea Tree or Melaleuca. Either or, it’s still the same oil.
Tea Tree is very cleansing and it’s antifungal, antimicrobial, antiviral, antibacterial, all the anti’s.
So I use it often to wash my shower, or any other surfaces that I know are germy or high moisture for any fungus.
You can add 20 drops to your On Guard Concentrate spray bottle, or you could put a few drops straight onto a surface, let it set for a few minutes, then wipe it off with a microfiber cloth.
- Because Tea Tree is antiviral, I use this to support my immune system when I get a cold. There isn’t any medication that is antiviral, so this is just amazing!
- I take 2 drops internally 3 times a day, or you can add 20-30 drops in a 10ml roller bottle and apply it to your spine every 2 hours.
- Also, it’s very good to apply to your skin if you have acne prone skin. Add 2 drops to your moisturizer.
Uses: Surfaces, dusting, windows, appliances
Lemon is a citrus, and most citruses are very cleansing as well. So, you can use it on surfaces for cleaning, but my favorite way to use it is for windows and dusting!
Add 5 drops onto a microfiber cloth, and go to town! It’s safe for furniture too, so you can dust it all.
You can also use this method to clean windows, or stainless steal appliances.
Diffuse to cleanse the air as well.
To clean out your microwave, add equal parts water and white vinegar to a small bowl, 10 drops of Lemon, and a toothpick to the bowl, then microwave for a minute or two. Any stuck on stains will come off!
- Citruses have the natural chemical constiuent called limomene. This is very uplifting to your mood. Diffuse or smell straight from the bottle when you need that!
- Be cautious in the sun with citruses. They are photosensitive, which means that you could have a higher chance of sun irritation if they are directly on your skin.
Uses: Purifies the air and odors
Purify is a blend from doTERRA that is specifically for cleaning/odors. It has a very fresh and light smell to it, so it makes for the perfect linen spray, diffuser blend, dryer ball oil, and more.
If you are packing up your winter clothes and don’t want them to smell musty when you open them up in 6 months, add a few drops of Purify to a cotton ball, and throw it in with your clothes.
I hope that no one here uses dryer sheets anymore because they have carcinogenics in them (aka toxins that cause cancer), so in the assumption that you don’t, this is the perfect oil to add to you dryer balls, to lightly scent your clothes.
If you have smelly shoes, add 20 drops in a 10ml spray bottle, fill the rest with water, give it a good shake before using, then spray it in the smelly shoes. You can also use it as a linen spray.
- Because of the essential oils this blend contains, this is the perfect oil to diffuse when seasonal stuffiness comes around!
5. Peppermint and Basil
So when you start spring cleaning, you usually clean out your garden as well (I am in no way a country girl, but I am definitely not a city girl either).
To help with environmental pests and threats, fill a 16oz spray bottle with 20 drops of each Peppermint and Basil, and spray down your plants.
You can also use this inside your house if you have any problem spots. doTERRA Peppermint is totally safe to use around children as well.
- Peppermint has so many uses! You can also use it for energy, to promote easy breathing, healthy digestion, and there is some research into peppermint as a natural antibiotic.
- Basil can help with ear discomfort. Roll Basil and Lavender around the outside of your ear every hour or two until your discomfort is better.
We have touched on cleaning surfaces, bathrooms, kitchens, dusting, appliances, clothing, linens, shoes, odors, laundry, gardens, pests, and more!
I think this should be a really great guide for you to get started with green cleaning.
Knowing what else essential oils can be used for empowers you to take control of your health as well!
If you have any questions, always feel welcome to reach out through my Contact Me page or Facebook!
Check out some cool recipes below as well!